Now is the Time: Get Vaccinated - Why You Can't Compare Vaccines, Efficacy is NOT the Best Measure.
Updated: Jun 20
Be prepared for your WORLD to be turned upside down on what you thought you knew about vaccines.
And then, go get your vaccine shot.
The truth is, after receiving the AstraZeneca shot along with my wife 9 days ago, I write this article with one goal in mind: that you make 'getting-vaccinated-soon' a top priority in your life.
Because you getting vaccinated is the hero of this story.
You getting vaccinated slows the spread of COVID-19, buys us time, and helps save lives.
Now is the time. Now it's Your Turn to Make a Difference
If you live in a place where the vaccine IS available consider yourself lucky, and go get vaccinated.
Because, after listening to family, friends, and neighbours (all highly intelligent people) say that some vaccines were better than others - something, if I'm honest, I believed previously too ...
...It's time we set the record straight on this...
NOTE: Before we continue - this is not me talking, this is clinical data and the science behind what efficacy actually means and why it's not the key measure.
In Short, it's not about Efficacy
Also see my recently published- 7 Tips / Reasons to get vaccinated and HOW to make it happen. - This article includes links on how to get registered and how to get your vaccine early, without skipping the line.
In the article above I talk about HOW and WHERE to get vaccinated, but I didn't touch on the fact that we can not actually compare efficacy rates.
Meaning we can not say that one vaccine is better over another.
And this whole "Moderna or Pfizer is the best" claim is false, and after I explain why below, you might agree it feels less like facts and more like hype.
The bigger concern is saying one vaccine is better over another is killing lives.
It's slowing the rates of vaccination, as people 'choose' to wait for anything but AstraZeneca.
The Truth is, Efficacy is based on Time, Place & Variants at hand.
Do you see where I'm going with this? Study the image below.
Do you see the unfair advantage at hand? Look at when Moderna and Pfizer did their trials, compared to when Johnson & Johnson did their trials.
This is why efficacy can't be compared equally.
Even if we did want to believe it was the most important value (which it's not).
Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech Had an Advantage Being First
Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech tested in completely different conditions than the vaccines that followed, with less variants, and Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech tested only within a specific population i.e. the USA.
Meanwhile, AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson collectively came later and tested in a variety of countries, including South Africa, Brazil and the UK, with a variety of variants active and spreading fast.
This means it was always likely efficacy for AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson would show up with a lower score.
This also means if Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech tested under the exact same conditions and locations and time, in South Africa, Brazil, and the UK, like AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson had - then it's highly unlikely Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech would have scored in the 80's or 90's on efficacy.
But there's more...
Now Prepare for Me To Turn your World Upside Down
This also means since AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson did test in MORE places (not just the USA) and at a time with MORE variants and higher transmission rates, their vaccines are more likely to handle these new strains better than Moderna and Pfizer/BioNTech!
This means simply, that AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson may actually have the higher efficacy rates now.
Yes this blew my mind as well, because there's a strong possibility it's true.
But that's not the point here.
Don't get caught up in efficacy.
This is not a gun battle between vaccines and who finishes first.
The point is this - all the vaccines mentioned above (and a few others too) do their job.
Because the primary purpose of a vaccine isn't the efficacy / percentage chance of getting COVID-19. Not at all.
Let me explain.
Vaccination is Actually about Three Things...
The primary purpose of a vaccine is to prevent death, hospitalization and severe side effects.
Thats it. And that's more than enough.
But there's another benefit too.
These vaccines also reduce the chances of spreading covid to your family, friends, or community.
Even with just ONE shot.
Even if the effectiveness of that ONE shot ONLY lasts three months.
Yes, YOU getting vaccinated will save lives.
And the truth is - ALL the vaccines mentioned do All of that.
So if you are waiting for the well branded 5-Star-Moderna vaccine, or the Single shot Johnson and Johnson, you don't need to.
Not in my opinion. Because you waiting two months, three months, or more, increases the chances that you catch covid and get really sick, or spread it to others, getting them sick, hospitalized or killed.
But please, don't take my word for it.
Here's an awesome 7 min video from VOX explaining it much better.
Thanks to VOX, here's why we can not compare vaccine efficacy and WHY it's not even the best measure!
So which vaccine is the best?
If they passed their clinical trials, then they all are.
And if you live in a country where can get vaccinated, go do that today.
Note: Shout-out to Chris Nelson for sharing this video which prompted this article!
Thanks for reading. Until next time take care of yourselves and each other.
1. Vaccines for COVID-19: How to get vaccinated or register - Canadian Government Website
2. A Pop-Up Vaccine Site in One of Canada's Most Impoverished Neighborhoods
3. Register online for your covid vaccine:
4. Vaccine Hunters Canada - The Vaccine Batman is Real!
5. Many in B.C. Will start Summer with a Single COVID-19 vaccine does. What will that mean?
6. Here's a blood clot doctor's advice for those hesitant about the AstraZeneca vaccine
7. Vaccine Batman is Real! https://torontolife.com/city/i-guess-you-could-say-its-become-an-obsession-meet-bea-serdon-a-k-a-batman-whos-booked-more-than-120-vaccine-appointments-for-friends-family-and-total-strangers/
8. Vaccine Batman is Real & Top 7 Tips on How to Get Vaccinated Without Skipping the Line
The-Inspired.com's More Related links:
1. What is the Single Most Important Factor in Reaching Your Goals?
How the idea of hope can change your life. Just ask the Olympic athletes who live by this rule
2. THE BEST WAY to Keep GOALS on Track - Accountability Partners!
Accountability Partner is proven to work, if it's a close friend. Don't tell strangers.
3. The Inspired Foundations Articles: How Your Foundations Matter in Reaching Your Goals. Simple tips, routines, principles and habits to get you started.
4. Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New: Is there something you've always wanted to do, a personal dream sitting there, a goal, still waiting to be realized?
5. Flow Will Change Your Life: Creating Goals Begins with Understanding Your Flow. Personal Growth meets the real authentic you. How understanding your passions will fuel your progress, happiness & personal growth.
6. Meditation - Skinny Dipping, Polar Bears, & Debunking Common Myths of Meditation
7. Bill Gates Pandemic Warning We All Missed. 10 Things You Need to Know: COVID-19 https://www.the-inspired.com/post/10-things-you-need-to-know-covid-19https://www.the-inspired.com/post/coronavirus-do-your-part-take-action-now
8. Coronavirus: Do Your Part, Take Action Now https://www.the-inspired.com/post/coronavirus-do-your-part-take-action-now
9. 10 Tips in Supporting Your Community and Home Life: COVID-19 https://www.the-inspired.com/post/this-game-is-for-real-10-tips-in-supporting-your-community-and-home-life-survival-covid-19