I called my nephew today to wish him a happy birthday. As he described it, he's under a form of "mom-jail-quarantine" which means he's stuck inside, like the rest of us.
What a horrible way to spend a birthday. Or is it?
My nephew is young, just wrapping up his first year of university, but he knows the world is a different place from just a month ago. Everything is changing. And no one truly knows how it will end.
What's the hardest part of all this?
For most of us, it's the realization there are forces at play outside of our control.
Usually when I call my nephew, which isn't as often as it should be, I give a few pieces of subtle (or maybe not that subtle) advice. You know, the boring yet necessary reminders of working hard, following your dreams, and finding a way to do something you love. Yes they all sound like platitudes, but they're much more than that. Especially today. Now. In this time.
Usually when I call, I know exactly what to say and how in all likelihood the world will look for the year ahead. But now, this is all new to me. It's new to all of us.
Events like this come along once in a lifetime, if at all.
Things we once believed as certain, may not exist in the months or years ahead.
The world is entering a heightened place of urgency but also of pause.
Roads are empty. Shops are closed. People are at home.
The Great Pause of 2020 has just taken hold.
The question is, what will you do with your time?
What promises have you made, understanding the uncertainty ahead?
I told my nephew this morning that he'll always remember this time.
But in 10, 20, or 30 years, will you remember what you did with yours?
The Great Pause of 2020 now comes with a question of purpose.
It is a time of authenticity. Of digging in and finding the authentic you.
Are you defining your purpose? Have you found your meaning?
If not, now is your time.
The Great Pause of 2020 has forced us to look within.
It's time now we make the most of it.
Because if not now. Then when?
Thanks for reading. Until next time. Stay healthy. Stay Strong. And Thrive.
- Goran Yerkovich
The-Inspired.com's related links:
1. What is the Single Most Important Factor in Reaching Your Goals?
How the idea of hope can change your life. Just ask the Olympic athletes who live by this rule
2. Does Sharing Goals Help or Hurt Your Chances of Success?
Accountability Partner is proven to work, if it's a close friend. Don't tell strangers.
3. The Inspired Foundations Articles: How Your Foundations Matter in Reaching Your Goals. Simple tips, routines, principles and habits to get you started.
4. Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New: Is there something you've always wanted to do, a personal dream sitting there, a goal, still waiting to be realized?
5. Flow Will Change Your Life: Creating Goals Begins with Understanding Your Flow. Personal Growth meets the real authentic you. How understanding your passions will fuel your progress, happiness & personal growth.
6. Meditation - Skinny Dipping, Polar Bears, & Debunking Common Myths of Meditation
COVID-19 Articles: My fact-checked articles with plenty of tools, tips and links to get you through the days ahead:
7. Bill Gates Pandemic Warning We All Missed. 10 Things You Need to Know: COVID-19 https://www.the-inspired.com/post/10-things-you-need-to-know-covid-19https://www.the-inspired.com/post/coronavirus-do-your-part-take-action-now
8. Coronavirus: Do Your Part, Take Action Now https://www.the-inspired.com/post/coronavirus-do-your-part-take-action-now
9. 10 Tips in Supporting Your Community and Home Life: COVID-19 https://www.the-inspired.com/post/this-game-is-for-real-10-tips-in-supporting-your-community-and-home-life-survival-covid-19
11. How Do I Self Isolate? The More You Know The Less You Fear - An Astronaut's Guide During COVID-19 https://www.the-inspired.com/post/how-do-i-self-isolate-the-more-you-know-the-less-you-fear-an-astronaut-s-guide-during-covid-19
12. Unsung Heroes: The International Team Mapping the Real-Time Spread of COVID-19: How to Take Action. https://www.the-inspired.com/post/unsung-heroes-the-international-team-mapping-the-real-time-spread-of-covid-19-how-to-take-action