What is the best advice out there on how to reach your goals?
What really works when times get tough and it feels like the outside world is caving in?
What do you do, when you're locked inside and need a way to stay positive?
The answer to the last question is simple: you focus on you.
You focus on working towards a goal.
Below are the top 8 secrets on how to reach your goals, and how to stay positive during this pandemic crisis.
But first a short story worth sharing.
How Moving Towards Goals Changed My Life
In 2005 I moved to Vancouver after living abroad in London, England. I was in debt, single, unemployed, and had no prospects, in anything. I slept on an air mattress at a friends place, living day to day.
My room consisted of a dinning room floor, converted into a place for me to stay while I got my shit together. But the problem was, I didn't seem very motivated. I lacked drive, intent, and had no idea what I was supposed to do next.
Vancouver is an expensive city. I'd heard it was a difficult place to make it.
Growing up in Calgary, I'd also heard of many failed attempts to live here successfully. Family friends, friends of friends, who moved to Vancouver only to be forced back from where they came.
Would I do the same?
Was my dad right, and did I make a big mistake leaving the safety of home, when I could have stayed and collected a high paying oil and gas job in Calgary?
No, I would find a way to make it work. I'd start moving towards something, anything.
I knew I'd make it. Somehow I just did.
But I also knew, if nothing else, I had to start moving towards a goal.
Fast forward to today and my life looks very different. I'm happily married. I have a successful career in consulting, and I do something I love almost each and every day - I write. I'm a writer. I've discovered a passion that feeds my soul and that I know helps others along in their journey.
My life isn't perfect, I have plenty of ups and downs, but overall I know I'm happy because I know exactly what my goals are. I also know I'm working towards those goals almost every day.
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed all of our lives, but it doesn't have to stop you from living life.
Now, more than ever is an opportunity to focus on you, and focus on areas in your life you've always wanted to, but never had the time.
Now is the time. Now is your time.
The choice is clear. Do nothing. Drink more, eat more, watch more news on COVID-19 until you can't sleep at night.
Or, turn off your TV, or the laptop CNN news feed and start focusing on you.
8 Secrets on How to Reach Your Goals: The Inspired Guide to Staying Positive During COVD-19
1. Self Belief: There is no greater place to start. You must believe in you. You must believe in the goal you're working towards. You can do this. You are unstoppable.
2. Accountability Partner: Tell a Close Friend. But Don't Tell Strangers. Talk to a close friend about your goal. The greatest of friends keep you accountable. Get rid of doubters and don't tell strangers.
3. Move: Get started. Do not wait for the perfect idea or approach to form before you get started. Moving is so crucial to your success. Start working on your goal today. Even if it is only for 15 mins to start. Work on your new goal each and every day.
4. Dedication. Stops you from doing the unhealthy things you might be doing. Like drinking late, or snacking late. Or not finding some time for 'you' during this time. If you can sleep early so you can rise before the rest of your household does to start working on your goal.
5. Hard work. Now that dedication has shown you a space you can work in, get working. Get started. Work. Work hard. But don't sacrifice your family or sleep or your health over it. Work hard but find a balance.
6. Set small weekly achievements: Each weekly I set weekly goals for myself. I then break then down into activities I will complete in 2 or 3 days. This is a method businesses use because it works.
7. Don't Give Up: This is the number one reason people do not reach their goals. I could spend countless hours talking about this principle. There will be many reasons you will tell yourself to stop: DON'T. You'll regret it in the end. Your happiness depends on it. 8. Feed Your Foundations: Nothing sustainable is possible if you burn out. Diet, exercise, internal dialogue, practicing gratitude, meditation, sleep, maintaining healthy relationships: all these matter as you work towards your goals.
Thanks for reading. Until next time. Stay healthy. Stay Strong. And Thrive.
- Goran Yerkovich
For related links on the above topics:
1. What is the Single Most Important Factor in Reaching Your Goals?
How the idea of hope can change your life. Just ask the Olympic athletes who live by this rule
2. Does Sharing Goals Help or Hurt Your Chances of Success?
Accountability Partner is proven to work, if it's a close friend. Don't tell strangers.
3. The Inspired Foundations Articles: How Your Foundations Matter in Reaching Your Goals. Simple tips, routines, principles and habits to get you started.
4. Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New: Is there something you've always wanted to do, a personal dream sitting there, a goal, still waiting to be realized?
5. Flow Will Change your Life: Personal Growth meets the real authentic you. How understanding your passions will fuel your progress, happiness and personal growth. It starts by unlocking experiences.
6. Meditation - Skinny Dipping, Polar Bears, & Debunking Common Myths of Meditation
7. 5 Lessons I Learned from My Father: Personal Growth, Overcoming Trauma, and How to Say I Love You: How's your Relationship with Your Father? If you're looking to improve here's my personal story
COVID-19 Articles: My fact-checked articles with plenty of tools, tips and links to get you through the days ahead:
Bill Gates Pandemic Warning We All Missed. 10 Things You Need to Know: COVID-19 https://www.the-inspired.com/post/10-things-you-need-to-know-covid-19https://www.the-inspired.com/post/coronavirus-do-your-part-take-action-now
Coronavirus: Do Your Part, Take Action Now https://www.the-inspired.com/post/coronavirus-do-your-part-take-action-now
10 Tips in Supporting Your Community and Home Life: COVID-19 https://www.the-inspired.com/post/this-game-is-for-real-10-tips-in-supporting-your-community-and-home-life-survival-covid-19
Unsung Heroes: The International Team Mapping the Real-Time Spread of COVID-19: How to Take Action. https://www.the-inspired.com/post/unsung-heroes-the-international-team-mapping-the-real-time-spread-of-covid-19-how-to-take-action
10 Signs it's Time to Evaluate your Life: Living Through COVID-19